As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Moissanite jewelry is becoming more and more popular in recent years because of how eye-catching yet affordable these gemstones are. Moissanite is a beautiful yet durable gemstone that requires special care to keep it looking its best. Many people do not know how to clean their Moissanite rings. In our article below, we go over some tips on how to properly clean a Moissanite ring so it stays shiny for years.
- Why Does a Moissanite Ring Require Cleaning?
- Cleaning Guidelines for a Moissanite Ring
- How to Maintain an Elegant Moissanite Ring
- FAQs about Cleaning And Caring for Moissanite Rings
- Does a moissanite ring scratch as easily as a diamond?
- Is it ok to wear my moissanite ring while doing household chores?
- How often should I clean and polish my moissanite ring?
- Is it ok to use jewelry cleaner?
- How do I remove jewelry cleaner residue after cleaning my ring?
- Can I use toothpaste to clean my Moissanite ring?
- How do I know if my moissanite ring needs cleaning?
- Is my moissanite ring vulnerable to water damage?
- Is my moissanite ring safe to wear during work or active play?
- My moissanite ring looks dull and cloudy. What happened?
- Final Thought
Why Does a Moissanite Ring Require Cleaning?
Moissanite is a lab-created gemstone with a hardness of 9.25 on the Mohs scale, making it extremely resistant to scratching and damage from everyday wear.
Moissanite gems can still be damaged if exposed to harsh chemicals or environmental factors such as hard water. Regular cleaning is very important.
Cleaning Guidelines for a Moissanite Ring
1. Put the Ring in a Bowl of Warm Water
Add a small amount of LUXRING Diamond & Silver Polishing Soap. Make sure to completely cover the moissanite gemstone with the soap.
2. Brush With a Soft-Bristled Toothbrush
To remove any dirt or grime, gently scrub the moissanite ring with a soft bristled toothbrush in a circular motion. Add more soap if necessary.
3. Polish the Gemstone Gently
To get a bright shine, follow the cleaning process with a soft polishing cloth. Please avoid using rough fabrics as they can scratch the surface of your ring.
4. Clean the Moissanite Ring With Warm Water
Rinse and dry it thoroughly with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove excess soap residue and ensure that no moisture is trapped in the crevices of your ring.
5. Repeat These Steps Once a Week or as Needed
How to Maintain an Elegant Moissanite Ring
Follow these care tips below to keep your Moissanite ring looking its best:
1. Moissanite is extremely resistant to scratching. It can be nicked or chipped if banged against hard objects or dropped on the ground. Be sure to take extra precautions when wearing your ring. Avoid wearing it while doing manual labor.
2. Moissanite is a more delicate gemstone than diamonds. To avoid damage, it should be handled with caution.
3. Always take off your ring before doing housework or chores.
4. Moissanite can be damaged if exposed to harsh chemicals like bleach or chlorine. Always remove your ring before swimming or showering.
5. Moissanite should never be exposed to extreme heat or pressure. It is a very sensitive gemstone and can crack or shatter with enough force.
6. Avoid exposing your moissanite ring to chemicals such as perfume, household cleaners, acetone, or any other strong chemicals that could damage your jewelry.
7. Do not immerse your moissanite ring in water for long periods. Avoid applying any lotions or perfumes on your hands before wearing your ring.
8. Moissanite is a hard gemstone but it is still vulnerable to scratching. If you wear your moissanite ring while doing heavy labor, avoid banging the stones against surfaces. This can cause serious damage.
9. Keep your moissanite ring away from extreme heat and humidity, as high temperatures can cause discoloration over time.
10. To keep your moissanite ring sparkling and bright, have it cleaned by a professional jeweler every six months to one year, depending on how often it is worn.
FAQs about Cleaning And Caring for Moissanite Rings
Does a moissanite ring scratch as easily as a diamond?
Moissanite is the hardest gemstone used in fine jewelry, but it is not as hard as diamonds. Although some objects such as coins or keys can scratch, Moissanite will not scratch from everyday wear and tear on your hands or body.
Is it ok to wear my moissanite ring while doing household chores?
Although your moissanite ring is pretty resilient, we recommend removing it before cleaning the dishes or doing other manual labor. Any bumps and knocks could cause significant damage to the ring.
How often should I clean and polish my moissanite ring?
We recommend having your moissanite ring professionally cleaned and polished every six months to twelve months depending on how much it is worn. This will keep your gemstone looking bright and beautiful.
Is it ok to use jewelry cleaner?
Most standard jewelry cleaners are perfectly fine, but avoid using excessive chemicals or harsh cleaning agents that could damage the stones or the metal.
How do I remove jewelry cleaner residue after cleaning my ring?
After using a jewelry cleaner, rinse your Moissanite ring in clean water and pat dry with a soft cloth to remove any cleaner before wearing it again.
Can I use toothpaste to clean my Moissanite ring?
No! Toothpaste contains abrasive compounds that are too harsh for jewelry, so avoid using it to clean your moissanite ring.
How do I know if my moissanite ring needs cleaning?
If your moissanite ring looks dull or cloudy with oils and dirt from everyday wear, it’s time to have it professionally cleaned.
Is my moissanite ring vulnerable to water damage?
Your moissanite ring is very durable and resistant to most forms of water damage, such as rainstorms and swimming pools. However, we do recommend removing it before getting wet in the ocean or pool.
Is my moissanite ring safe to wear during work or active play?
Although your moissanite ring is quite strong, it’s not indestructible. We recommend removing your ring before playing sports or working with power tools to avoid damage.
My moissanite ring looks dull and cloudy. What happened?
Moissanite is naturally clear in its crystal form, so if your Moissanite ring is looking cloudy or dull this means that it’s time for a professional cleaning.
Moissanite is a beautiful, durable gemstone that can last for generations if cared for properly. With regular professional cleanings, your moissanite ring will look as bright as the day you bought it.