As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Every individual who loves to do make-up surely must be having the cushion puffs to serve the purpose. Cushion compacts came into play in the year 2008 for turning around the foundation market. The use of such puffs is higher today, and so is the concern for its cleaning over time.
- How To Clean A Cushion Puff
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Clean A Cushion Puff
People fond of make-up certainly need to know how to clean a cushion puff at home. Else its sponges become clogged and your touch-ups become flawed! Follow these cleaning methods and steps to achieve the desired cleaning outcomes.
Method 1: Cleaning With An Oil Cleanser
Any easily available oil cleanser including simple extra virgin olive oil can be used to clean cushion puffs, they are also great for cleaning wooden combs. They are natural removers of moisture but don’t leave the puff raw dry and unusable. However you don’t need too much oil.
Step 1: Prepare For The Cleaning Session
- Get a small plastic bag that seals.
- Keep your oil cleanser balm ready.
- Get a bowl of clean water.
- You will be using a gentle face wash.
- A paper towel will be essential in the end.
There is a possibility that you might have all of these products available at your home. If not, then get it from an online or offline store.
Step 2: Clean The Cushion Puff
With all the supplies ready, it is time to commence the cleaning process:
- Put the cushion puff into a plastic bag.
- Now, spread a little oil cleanser over the puff.
- Seal the bag, and spread the cleanser on the puff with your fingers over the bag.
- Now, pour a little quantity of warm water into the bag.
- Seal the bag, and rub the solution over the cushion puff again. It will help you remove the foundation over it.
Be gentle with the puff while you are rubbing it with warm water. It is because a strong force will disorient the shape of the cushion puff. Therefore, move your fingers lightly while cleaning it.
You can do this process in the sink without the need for a plastic bag. But using a plastic bag will create less of a mess.
Step 3: Rinse The Cushion Puff
Once all the cleaning is over, it is time to rinse out the cleaning solution from the cushion puff. Follow these steps for the same:
- You will need a bowl of water.
- Take out the cushion puff from the plastic bag.
- Dip it into the water bowl, and rinse with your fingers.
- Wash out all the leftover residues of make-up products and cleaning solutions.
Step 4: Clean It With Face Wash
After rinsing the puff once, cleaning it with face wash is a great way to remove more residue. Here’s how you do it:
- Use a drop of gentle facewash on the cushion puff (You can also use gentle body wash).
- Spread the facewash drop around the puff.
- You will see foam forming, which will eventually clean the surface finely.
- Submerge it into a bowl of water and clean off the residues with your fingers.
- Take it out and use a paper towel to remove excess water gently.
Here’s a quick video guide that will walk you through this process.
Method 2: Cleaning With Soap
Soap has always been traditionally used on sponges of all shapes and sizes. A cushion puff is no different, only very refined. Therefore, you will have to delicate or you will scrub of usable layers.
Step 1: Prepare Your Cushion Puff
You need to do the preparatory measures as usual before hopping onto the cleaning process. Follow the below sub-steps:
- You will have to head to the sink for this step.
- Wet the cushion puff and soap.
- Rub soap bar over the cushion puff.
Step 2: Clean The Cushion Puff
After the soap is applied over the cushion puff, it is time to move to the deep cleaning process. Here are the things you will have to do for cleaning it:
- Rub your fingers over the cushion puff thoroughly. It is for cleaning the tiny pores of the puff.
- Rub all around the edges and backside.
- Rinse it under running water.
- Squeeze the cushion puff for removing the soap while rinsing.
- Massage the puff under running water to extract the soap completely.
- Ring out the water by squeezing it in your palm.
- Leave it overnight in a clean surface like your zinc countertop, to dry before you reuse it.
While rubbing the soap with fingers, make sure to avoid digging nails into it. It will cause tiny tears on the surface that will ruin your puff.
Method 3: Cleaning With Micellar Water
Micellar water is currently a hot cleaning product. It is made by combining pure water (distilled water) with surfactants and glycerin-based moisturizers.
Step 1: Collect Additional Supplies
Collecting all the supplies in one place will help you speed up the cleaning process for your cushion puffs.
- Get a bottle of micellar water from online or offline stores.
- Grab a bowl from your kitchen.
- A cake soap that is specially meant for make-up cleansing.
Step 2: Soak With Micellar Water
Micellar water is a cleansing solution, especially for make-up tools. It is the perfect product for the optimal cleaning of cushion puffs.
- Take some micellar water in a bowl.
- Soak the cushion puff in it.
- Leave the puff in the bowl for around 10 minutes. Let the make-up residue break down or weaken in the solution.
- Take it out, and you can rinse it in water to wash out the residues.
Repeat the process if you see any more residue after pulling out the puff. Hence, make sure you go systematically according to the steps right from the start.
Step 3: Use Cake Soap For Further Cleaning
Once you’ve finished the micellar water cleaning process, you can use cake soap to cleanse the cushion puff further.
- Use the cake soap to rub it over the cushion puff.
- Rub your fingers over it to spread the soap.
- Spread the soap around the edges and back.
- Now, rinse it under tap water and squeeze it to remove the soap.
- Squeeze to remove excess water.
- Leave it to dry overnight before you reuse it.
This is yet another popular and effective cleaning method for cushion puffs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should I Clean My Cushion Puff?
You should clean the cushion puff once every week if your usage is high. If you use the puff less often, you can clean it once in two weeks. However, cleaning it at regular intervals is very important, not just for the longevity of the puff but also for your facial health. Cleaning the puff regularly can help prevent breakouts and acne.
Do I Need To Spend Any Money To Clean The Cushion Puffs?
Cushion puffs are very cheap. Therefore, it is better not to spend more money buying special cleaning products; instead, use what you have at home. Moreover, you can buy a new puff, rather than spending money on its cleaning.
Can I Use The Same Cleaning Methods For My Make-up Blender Puff?
You can use these methods for any type of make-up puffs. Furthermore, there will be no adverse effects on any of the sponge puffs with these cleaning approaches.
Follow the methods mentioned above and get your cushion puffs clean for reuse.
All you have to do is follow the steps to clean out all the foundation, creams, blushes, and other make-up products from the cushion puff with ease.