As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Televisions are the focal point of most houses’ entertainment, so most people keep them well dusted and maintained. Keeping the tv screen clean without any streaks can be a hassle. In our article below, we discuss how to clean your flat screen tv and give it a streak free shine.
TV displays, like computer screens, attract dust. When it’s time to clean it, going it over with a soft feather duster decreases the amount of dust on the tv. Feather dusters are also used to clean N64 cartridges and other electronic accessories.
Microfiber cloth is an excellent choice for cleaning televisions since it is soft and non-abrasive. The fact that it is also lint-free makes it ideal for picking up any dirt that may have accumulated on your flat screen TV with just a few swipes.
You’ll need two of these to complete the cleaning process. One should be wet enough to wipe the screen adequately, while the other should be entirely dry to serve as the shine. Most modern consumer electronics include one of these in the package.
If you look through your TV’s packaging, you’ll most likely discover one. When you obtain these, avoid reusing a soiled one, as a dirty cloth can scratch the screen and leave streaks.
You may also use an anti-static cloth. This is an alternative addition to your “toolbox” for cleaning your television. If you don’t have a lot of dirt on your television screen, you might not require it.
They are great dirt magnets, which means that a single sweep across the screen work well to remove any dust. These are commonly available at supermarkets.
Initially, you can clean the tv screen by simply dusting it. If there are fingerprints or spots on the screen, you will need to use a cloth and a cleaning solution.
Today’s market is flooded with television and computer screen cleaners. Pick one that works best for you, as long as it does not contain acetone, acetate, ammonia, or alcohol. These cleaning products will degrade the TV’s anti-reflection coating.
If you don’t want to buy any screen cleaner agents, you can simply use a solution of equals part of white vinegar and water. This actually works great for cleaning an iMac screen as well.
Remember that you just need to dampen the microfiber cloth, and then use it to wipe the screen.
Methods of cleaning
Some flat screen televisions are unsuitable for traditional wet cleaning. If this is the case with your tv, there are a few household solutions you can use to clean a flat screen tv screens without leaving streaks.
Using Distilled Water or a Vinegar Solution
This approach calls for the use of distilled water or a water-and-vinegar mixture. Take the following steps:
- Prepare your vinegar mixture or distilled water.
- Get a spray bottle and fill it with the mixture.
- Find your microfiber cloths. If you use paper towels or any other type of paper you will end up with scratches over the surface of your screen.
- Turn off the television and let it cool. A warm screen is more likely to streak when being cleaned.
- Load the spray bottle halfway with distilled water or vinegar solution and spritz some of it on the microfiber cloth. Make sure you spray only a small amount, as your don’t want the cloth too wet.
- Using a gentle circular motion, wipe the screen clean with the damp microfiber cloth. Rub the dry microfiber cloth in a circular motion to dry the screen.
- If necessary, repeat the procedure until you are completely satisfied with the appearance of your flat-screen television.
Using Cleaning Agents
This procedure involves the use of a cleaning chemical specialized for flat-screen televisions.
Take the following steps:
- Turn off the television and wait for it to cool.
- Remove large dust particles from the screen with your feather duster before cleaning it to avoid making any scratches or streaks when clean it. A can of compressed air can also be used for this task.
- Mist the television screen with the screen cleaner and allow it to sit for approximately 30 seconds.
- Applying gentle circular motions to your screen with a microfiber cloth or anti-static cleaning cloth will help to remove dust and dirt. Wait for it to dry before continuing.
- If streaks appear, use a mixture of water and vinegar on a microfiber cloth to remove them as soon as possible.
- To get rid of streaks on the flat screen, gently rub the cloth over them, then use your dry microfiber cloth to dry the screen.
To clean a flat-screen tv without streaks is usually a matter of selecting the proper cleaning product and cloth. Avoid using harsh solutions and use vinegar solution or distilled water instead to achieve the best possible clean.