As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, summer is here, and it is time to enjoy some time in the pool, swimming in cold water with a sweet cold drink in one hand. But before that, you need to make sure the pool is clean and hygienic for use. Thus in this article, we will be discussing how to clean pool tiles with a pressure washer.
- How To Clean Pool Tiles With A Pressure Washer
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Clean Pool Tiles With A Pressure Washer
A pressure washer is one of the best pieces of equipment to assist you in the safe cleaning of your pool tiles. Do not worry, you can use this equipment yourself; you just need to read all the upcoming paragraphs to get the hang of the equipment. Then, we will discuss the best settings and the precautions you need to take while using the machine.
Materials You Need To Prepare
If you want to get your pool tiles clean and refreshed, you will need some necessary and professional tools to do so.
In addition, you have to be extremely careful about the products that you use while cleaning the pool tiles.
Here is the list of materials you need to prepare for cleaning your pool tiles with a pressure washer.
- You need to buy a pressure washer between 1200 PSI to 2600 PSI. If you think of going above 2000, do not forget to test it first using a wide spray area.
- Protecting clothing and a good pair of shoes to protect yourself from slippery situations at the pool.
- A set of various nozzles, a long spray gun, and other attachments to work across water pressure.
Warning: Never use any type of soap or detergents while cleaning the pool tiles; it can be dangerous for people while swimming. If you want to treat the stains, consider buying a pressure washer with a steam cleaner.
Cleaning Of The Pool Tiles With Pressure Washer
Once we have gotten all the necessary equipment in hand, it is time to move forward with cleaning the pool tiles with a pressure washer.
Here is the step by step guide that you will need to follow:
- Wear your protective clothing and start setting up the pressure washer for cleaning. If your pressure washer can go to a higher temperature, choose hot water or steam to clean the tiles.
- Before using the pressure washer, ensure all the pool toys are removed, and the debris is removed by using a pool vacuum. Do not forget to clean the surrounding area as well.
- Now move forward with testing the pressure washer at a low setting or use a wider nozzle to remove the dirt from the pool. Sweep the washer in Horizontal motion for at least 30 seconds.
- As you move from one section to another, start increasing the pressure to understand what works best for you. Make sure the section is fully clean before you move to the next one.
- Change the nozzles around the corners and gout lines as they are pretty tough to clean. A long spray gun works best in this region.
- Once you are done cleaning, switch off the pressure washer and pull the trigger to release the extra water. Let the tiles air dry.
Do not use any external method for drying the tiles; it might harm the surface of the tiles.
Here is the link to a video guide that will help you understand the use of a pressure washer.
Tips For Figuring Out The Right Pressure For Cleaning
A pressure washer is an advanced tool for cleaning gutters and pool tiles, and it might take some time for a newbie to get the hang of it.
Here are some tips for figuring out the right pressure for cleaning your pool tiles with a pressure washer.
- The ideal pressure for cleaning pool tiles is between 2000 PSI to 2600 PSI
- If you have a stronger pressure washer with 3000 PSI, make sure you stand further back while cleaning and use a wider nozzle.
- Always test on an inconspicuous space to ensure the pressure washer is not causing any harm to the tile.
It is highly recommended to stand at least 3 feet back from the target while using a pressure washer. If you stand too close, the pool tile might crack.
Make Sure Nobody Is Out While Cleaning
A pressure washer can be dangerous to the people around you while you are washing. Make sure nobody is out while cleaning the pool tiles.
- Severe accidents might take place if your children or pet come in between while cleaning.
- Fractures or even severe injuries can be the result of negligence.
- Ensure you tie up your pets inside the house and lock the porch door to keep the children safe at home.
You should also be careful with the device; make sure you handle the nozzle well; otherwise, decrease the pressure.
Finally, make sure you have worn good quality protective gear and a good non-slippery pair of shoes.
Do Not Let The Wires Get Wet
If you own an electricity-powered pressure cleaner, you need to be super careful while cleaning the pool tiles, as the water can splatter on other regions as well.
Water and wires are never a good combination; thus, here are some pointers to keep in mind and do not let the wires get wet.
- There is no doubt that the electrical water pressure is more powerful than the non-electrical version, but you need to cover your wires with a plastic sheet.
- Make sure you use a longer nozzle to keep the water away from the wire.
- Check for any cuts on the wire covering before using it; if you observe any, cover that region with duct tape.
This is one of the most crucial points that you cannot forget since you will be holding the pipe in your hand; it might electrocute you in case of neglect. Make sure you are standing in a dry area.
Decoding The Right Nozzle For Different Areas Of The Pool
When it comes to using a pressure cleaner, most of the cleaning process depends upon the right pressure and the nozzle you are working with.
It is possible that the nozzle that works for wider areas does not work for the corners.
Thus here are some pointers for decoding the right nozzle for different areas of the pool.
- Always test the nozzles before using them if you are not that familiar with the machine. You can also look in the manual or ask the shop owner for recommendations.
- Do not use the zero-degree nozzle; it does not sit well for cleaning.
- Any nozzle above the number 25 is ideal for cleaning the pool tiles.
- Make sure you use a long thinner nozzle for corners.
Keep The Pressure Washer Moving
As we said above, you are supposed to use the pressure washer in small sections, but make sure you keep the pressure washer moving.
Do not hold it in one place for too long. Here are the reasons why you should keep doing so:
- If you keep the pressure washer running at one place for a longer time, the risk of cracking the tile increases.
- The repeated water pressure can damage the tile in many ways if it does not crack.
- Keep the pressure washer in one place for just a few seconds and then switch it to the other section. Next, change the nozzle on the delicate areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Pressure Washing?
Pressure washing, also known as power washing, is using water spray at a higher pressure to clean hard surfaces. It is applicable to remove mold, gum, or dirt stains from concrete, and it is also used in homes to remove mildew, pollution, and of course, cleaning the pool tiles. Here is the answer to “what pressure is washing”.
How Often Does A Surface Need To Be Washed With A Pressure Washer?
Pressure washing is mostly an annual thing; you do not need to pressure wash the hard surfaces more than once a year. On the other hand, excessive power washing can damage the surface; hence, the answer is “how often a surface needs to be washed with a pressure washer”.
What Are PSI And GPM?
PSI is usually defined as pounds per unit, and GPM is Gallons per unit. These are the terminologies that define the pressure washer that will be put on the surface while cleaning. Therefore, it is essential to know “what are PSI and GPM” to understand the appropriate number for the cleaning surface.
Using a pressure washer might seem a bit complicated, but you will get the hang of it in some time. Do not forget to read the instruction manual that comes with the washer and adjust the settings accordingly. Make sure you look out for all the precautions recommended by us to avoid any type of accidents, enjoy safe cleaning of your lovely pool.