If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
One of the most voguish cooking trends of today is cooking on the salt block. But, what about cleaning them? Here is an article on how to clean salt block.
- How to Clean Salt Block
- Do’s and Don’ts of Cleaning Salt Block
- What Are the Uses of Himalayan Salt?
- Maintenance of a Salt Block
- Cooking Techniques With Salt Block
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Clean Salt Block
Himalayan salt block inspires and engages you to savor zealous gourmand. The Himalayan salt block has a dense crystalline composition that enhances the flavor of food. But, before you begin, gather up the materials that you will need.
- Scrapping tool/metal spatula
- Bowl of water
Step 1: Scrape It Off!
Himalayan pink salt blocks can retain the heat; use it for cooking meat. However, the meat juices, chicken or steak’s skin, build up the sticky gunk over the block.
- Put the salt block to cool down after cooking. It is advisable to clean when the block cools down completely.
- The first thing you must remember while cleaning Himalayan salt is not to put it in the dishwasher. It can break the salt block.
- The more you can scrape it off, the easier it becomes to clean the salt plate.
- Use a sharp-edged tool to scrape and take a microfiber cloth to hold the block from another end.
- When you hold it tight with a cloth it ensures, the block does not slip away while scrubbing.
- You can take any metal spatula or scrapper and use it vigorously to scrape out the burnt skin of the meat.
- Scraping off the surface will break out the settled grease and grime from the salt block.
Step 2: Scrubbing It Well
When you scrape the sticky meat residue from the Himalayan salt block, all that is left is the layer of grease.
- Use a metal wool scrubber to scrub the remaining grease from the salt block. The metal wool scrubber has an intricate interwoven design that cleans the gunk from cracks and crevices of the block.
- Use water while scrubbing that makes the scrubbing easier.
- After scrubbing, make sure you wash the dirt from the block. Use a bowl of water and wash the layer of dirt from the surface.
The scrubbing cleans most of the dirt and grime, and it does not take too much time. The process is easy and quick.
Step 3: Use Liquid Dish Wash Solution
After scrubbing and washing, some sticky gunk may remain unclean. If this happens, then you can use a dish wash solution.
- Pour 2-3 drops of any dish wash solution and then add water.
- Scrub it well with a scouring sponge or microfiber cloth.
- Next, wash it well in running water. Make sure no detergent is left as a residue.
The Himalayan salt block is anti-bacterial and anti-microbial. Therefore, it is not usually advised to use any detergent to wash the block. But, a little gentle dish wash solution won’t harm the integrity of the salt block.
Step 4: Dry It Off
It is crucial that after cleaning the salt bock, you let it dry before storing it.
- Dry the sat bock naturally, and you can keep it under the high-speed fan.
- Do not put it to heat before drying, as the sudden change in temperature can put cracks on the block.
When it is completely dry, wrap it in plastic. This will prevent dirt build-up. Next, put in a steel or metal tray with a handle and store it for your next use. Here is a video guide to clean salt blocks.
Do’s and Don’ts of Cleaning Salt Block
- Always use a sponge to scrub the salt block.
- First, to clean the sticky residue, use a metal scraper.
- Then, use a metal wool scrubber to clean the salt block.
- Do not put it in the dishwasher.
- Never use any disinfectant; the salt blocks are anti-microbial.
- Also, do not put the block under tap water. It can dissolve the block into a wet solution.
What Are the Uses of Himalayan Salt?
To understand the cleaning procedure of sat block, it is essential to understand the usage. For instance, the burnt layer should be scrapped while grease can be cleaned with a damp cloth.
The difference in use can lead to differences in the cleaning procedures. Here are some of the uses of the Himalayan salt block.
Himalayan salt is used to prepare a variety of foods. The versatility covers savory and sweet dishes.
Himalayan salt can hold both heat and cold in the block. That’s why it is used as a cooking plate for a range of dishes. However, you will be swayed away by its utility.
- Curing– Salt blocks are brilliant in fully or partially curing meat or fish. The salinity of the block starts working on the meat when it comes in contact with it. Chefs use salt blocks to cure salmon before using it in gourmet dishes.
- Chilling– Try chilling food in the fridge on a salt block. It gives a mild salty flavor to the food.
- Presenting– Presenting grommet dishes on salt block elevates the look of the dish. Put the salt block on a tray with a handle. It will make the block easier to carry.
Maintenance of a Salt Block
Himalayan salt blocks are simple to use and maintain with these simple tips.
- Dry it well – The first thing you must check is whether or not the salt block is completely dry. Moisture can expand the salt block when it comes in contact with heat, cause it to crack.
- Slow heating– Heating the salt block too quickly can cause cracks or damage. Heat the block slowly and do not exceed the heat by 200 degrees Fahrenheit every 15 minutes.
- Preheat before use– Salt blocks are great for baking. It traps the heat well and gives a tint of salty flavor to scones or cakes. Heating it on the stovetop before putting it in the oven decreases the chance of breakage.
- Change is evident, no matter how much you care for the salt block. It may develop small cracks, and it is normal.
- Do not submerge it in water– Water dissolves salt; it is advisable to use a damp cloth or sponge to clean the salt block.
- Avoid fat– Ingredients like butter or oil damage the salt block that prevents longevity of the salt block.
Keep these points as a reminder so you can avoid mistakes next time you use a salt block. In addition, here are some maintenance tricks and tips guide you can follow.
Cooking Techniques With Salt Block
A sizzling barbeque coming on salt block accentuates the look of the dish. The use of the salt block is the new bandwagon on which everyone is hoping on. Here are some techniques of cooking on a salt block.
Are you planning for a grilled chicken dinner tonight? Use the salt block to grill it in the oven. It will bring the texture of simple grilled chicken that you can’t get from a traditional griller.
Start by keeping your dry salt block on the outdoor grill or stovetop and raise the temperature slowly. Keep the food on the salt block and let it grill slowly. Make sure you prep the meat before, avoid salt in marination as the salt block releases sat in the meat.
Have you ever thought of baking on a salt block? If not, then try it. Salt blocks are known for retaining the heat, so it helps in baking. And as a bonus, you can get a hint of rock salt in your dishes.
Serving Cold Dishes
Himalayan rock salt block is popular in serving ice cream or dessert. To serve cold dishes, refrigerate the salt block for 2 hours.
After that, decorate the salt block with the platter of your choice. To avoid over-salting of food, keep it on the side which has a lesser surface area.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I clean Salt Block After Cooking?
After cooking, let the salt block completely cool down. When dry, use a damp cloth or moisten the surface and use a microfiber cloth or sponge to clean any stuck matter from the salt block.
How Long Does a Salt Block Last?
There is no definite answer to this question. Salt block can last from months to years. The longevity of the salt block depends on the maintenance and cleaning of the block.
There are a few do’s and don’ts that are deciding factors of the salt block. Following them will decrease the chance of breakage or crack on a salt block. This enhances the longevity of the salt block.
How Long Salt Block Remain Hot?
30-40 minutes. It is the question that pops up now and then when you have to clean the salt block. The ideal time that you must wait is 30-40 minutes.
The salt block can heat up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit; the process is simple; it takes the same amount of time it takes to cool down. The salt block can take 3-4 hours to cool down completely.
Salt block brings a perfect blend of gourmet cooking with health benefits. It creates an authentic flavor with a hint of salt that balances the texture of food. The salt block takes the crown of presentation. Clean it regularly and store it well; it will make the block last for years.