If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Bamboo blinds are visually appealing and have an aesthetic and classy look. Therefore, they have the potential to add charm to your house. Moreover, the best part is they are eco-friendly and natural. However, with this comes the problem of cleaning them appropriately to maintain the lifespan and look.
How To Clean Bamboo Blinds
As you have invested in adding the beauty and elegance of bamboo blinds to your house, it is also important to maintain them over time. Therefore, you need to look after keeping them free from dust, dirt, and stains with proper measures. The unique texture of Bamboo blinds has its roll-up grooves that are prone to attract dirt & dust.
Thus, to make a cleaning approach, follow this guide to understand how to clean bamboo blinds and keep them in mint condition.
Method 1: Dust & Vacuum For Routine Cleaning
Before inching towards the in-depth cleaning methods, it is important that you get an idea of regular cleaning steps. These cleaning measures stated below are part of daily household cleaning chores. Read to know more.
Step 1: Dust Off The Bamboo Blinds
- Start the cleaning routine by dusting the blinds.
- Use a feather or any soft duster for the purpose.
- Remove dust and dirt particles off the surface of bamboo blinds.
- Wave the duster in between the slats as well.
- Dust the blinds every single day, followed by vacuuming.
Step 2: Vacuum Cleaning The Bamboo Blinds
- Following the dusting process, use a vacuum cleaner for further cleaning.
- Use a soft brush attachment with the vacuum cleaner for the purpose.
- Remove the cobwebs and dust particles regularly.
- Using the right attachment will prevent causing scratches to the bamboo blinds.
In this YouTube video, you can check out the visual demonstration of dusting and vacuuming bamboo shades. This is similar to method 1 of cleaning bamboo blinds.
Method 2: Cleaning With Oil Soap And Water Mixture
In most cases, some dirt and filth are tough to clean by just dusting or vacuuming. For such scenarios, using oil soap and water mixture seems quite effective. It is also an effective implementation for clearing out the mildew build-ups over bamboo blinds.
Step 1: Prepare Oil Soap & Water Solution
- Prefer a big bucket or a bathtub. (Bamboo blind should submerge fully in it)
- Fill the bucket or tub with hot water.
- Add oil soap to it that is used explicitly on woods. (Prefer natural products)
- Add only the specified amount of oil soap, as mentioned in the packaging.
- Stir the mixture well to blend water and oil soap properly.
Step 2: Put The Blind Into That Solution & Scrub
- Submerge only one bamboo blind panel at one time. (Depending upon the size)
- Place it inside the bucket or tub, and let it soak for some time. (30 minutes or an hour)
- Use a soft sponge or a clean, soft cloth for further cleaning.
- Rub the surface of the bamboo blind while it is still in the water.
- Gently scrub out the loose debris off the surface of the blind.
- Clean it with a sponge on all sides.
- Continue the process until the blind is clean.
- Repeat the process for all of the other slats.
Step 3: Take Off The Bamboo Blind From The Water
- Take out the blind from the water bucket or tub.
- Place it over a clean towel.
- Drain the water present in the bucket or tub.
- Now hold the blind over the empty bucket or tub to rinse it with clean water.
- Use hand shower for better rinsing purpose.
- Rinse all sides of the blind to wash away all the soap remnants.
Step 4: Dry The Bamboo Blinds
- Use a microfiber cloth for drying out the bamboo blinds.
- Free the blinds from moisture before moving onto the next drying process.
- Now, place the bamboo blinds over the drying ropes in your deck under direct sunlight.
- Let them dry for a minimum of 20 minutes, or wait for them to completely dry. (the drying time varies depending upon the size of the blinds)
After that, put the blinds back on your window compartments and enjoy the shade.
If you do not want to use commercial oil soap cleaner, white vinegar and bleach can also be used. For vinegar, you can use 250 ml of it to mix with every 1 gallon of water. Similarly, for bleach, you can use one part of it for two parts of water.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Frequently Should I Deep Clean My Bamboo Blinds?
Dusting and vacuuming should be daily, as stated above. However, intense or deep cleaning should be done once every month. You do not want your house to look dull with dirty windows when your guests arrive.
Therefore, you can also clean the blinds before any special occasion when anticipating guests at your home.
How To Choose The Best Bamboo Blinds For My House?
To choose the best bamboo blinds, you need to consider the quality, color, and texture as basic factors. Along with that, you must also look after characteristics like low maintenance and care. Furthermore, you should ensure that the blinds match the theme of your house for convenient inclusion.
For more information on important factors to choose the right one, check out this article.
Bamboo blinds are green solutions for home décor. Suppose you do not wish to use traditional fabric curtains anymore; then, bamboo blinds are the perfect attractive alternatives. This article is contributing its part in helping you maintain the look of these blinds.
Before you start your cleaning process, please give it a thorough read once again.