As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cushions are the essence of chairs. And, who doesn’t like comfortable cushions on their dining chairs? Probably everyone loves the feel of smooth and comfy cushions. However, dining chairs are prone to food stains.
Hence, the cushions also lose their appearance when you ignore such stains. Using them in stained conditions will deteriorate their quality, and you might have to replace them soon.
- How to Clean Dining Chair Cushions?
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Clean Dining Chair Cushions?
You may not wish to spend unnecessary money on frequent replacement of dining chair cushions. All of it can be saved when you are ready to put in the effort to clean them all by yourself. And for that, you need to follow this guide that will teach you how to clean dining chair cushions at home.
Method 1: Cleaning with Vinegar & Water
Vinegar and water are readily available in your kitchen, so this method is a go-to option for you, this mixture is also used for cleaning shin guards. Go through the steps to know the ideal approach to clean with these ingredients.
Step 1: Pick up the Visible & Loose Debris
- Pick up the loose food or any other debris off the cushion surface.
- Pick it gently, without forcefully rubbing the surface.
- Do not let any solid debris sit on the cushion fabric for a long time.
- It might result in staining the fabric. Use any tool for clearing out such debris for better convenience.
Step 2: Clean Out the Liquid Spills or Debris Immediately
- Use a wet cloth to blot the area.
- Sponge up the liquid spilled area as much as possible.
- Continue blotting until the stain eliminates from the cushion surface.
- With this process, the stain won’t be set on the cushion.
- Do not let the liquid spill remain over the cushion surface for a long time. It might leave a permanent mark.
All of the light stains will go away with just water blotting. However, some of the robust stains need a thorough cleaning. The next few steps will provide the solution to this.
Step 3: Spray the Vinegar & Water Solution
- Take equal parts of vinegar & warm water in a bowl.
- Mix it up well and fill it in a spray bottle.
- Shake it well, and your solution is ready.
- Spray it on the stained surface of the cushion.
- Let the solution settle down and soak into the cushion for around 10 minutes.
- Now, use a clean wipe cloth to scrub the stained area.
- You will notice that the stains vanish away.
- Repeat the process if the stains still exist on the dining chair cushion.
- Leave the cushion to dry.
Step 4: Sanitize & Deodorize the Cushion
- Prefer using a steam cleaner for this purpose.
- You can either buy it or rent it from hardware shops.
- First, vacuum the cushion after it is dry.
- Now, fill warm water and a tiny amount of soap solution in the steam cleaner container.
- Use the steam cleaner over the cushion surface.
- It will sanitize and deodorize the cushion.
- Leave it to dry under natural sunlight, or use a blow dryer for the purpose.
Method 2: Cleaning Oil and Ink Stain
This method will provide you with some home remedies or DIY ways to remove such stains. These remedies are:
Step 1: Removing Oil Stains
- Sprinkle some corn starch over the oil-stained area.
- Let it settle down on the surface for around 15 minutes. This will absorb the grease.
- Now, use a clean wipe cloth for cleaning the area.
- The oil stain will vanish away.
- Now, you can vacuum the corn starch powder.
Step 2: Removing Ink Stains
- Use 90% rubbing alcohol immediately on the ink-spilled surface.
- Dab the rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth and apply it over the stains.
- Scrub it thoroughly until the stains are out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Baking Soda for Cleaning Tough Stains over Dining Chair Cushions?
Yes, you can use baking soda with water for cleaning tough stains over dining chair cushions. All you have to do is mix 2 to 3 spoons of baking soda and water to prepare the paste.
Now, apply it to the stained area and leave it to settle for a few minutes. Now, use a clean damp cloth to wipe the paste off the cushion. And then, leave it to dry.
Can I Use Commercial Cleaners for Dining Chair Cushions?
If you do not wish to use any homemade solutions and trust a branded cleaner, then go for it. Use only specific cleaners that are meant for cleaning dining chair cushions. However, following the instructions regarding the cleaner solution is a must to maintain the longevity of your cushions.
How Often Should I Clean My Dining Chair Cushions?
In case of any food or liquid spills, you need to go ahead and clean immediately. But, for general-purpose cleaning, you can prefer vacuuming them every day or go with vinegar cleaning once every one or two weeks.
Why Should I Use Dining Chairs with Cushions over Metal or Wooden Frames?
The dining chairs with cushions are also known as upholstered chairs, rich in offering comfort and a sense of relaxation. To learn more about the different dining chair materials, you can refer to this article.
So, if you have cushion seating on your dining chairs, this article is quite helpful for you. All of these methods and steps are tested and effective in the proper cleaning of cushions, including Papasan cushions. If you have cushions in your wrought iron patio furniture, you can apply these methods, as well.
So, don’t wait to hire any professional cleaner when your kid spills something on the dining chair cushions, instead, get motivated to clean and start the cleaning process on your own and you might save some valuable time.