If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Getting outdoor with grilling tongs and barbequing meat over an open flame is the experience everyone enjoys. But do you have any idea how to clean grill mats? Fret not, here is an article that explains how to clean grill mats.
- How to Clean Grill Mats
- DIY Solution to Clean Grill Mats
- Materials Required
- Step 1: Brush Off The Residue
- Step 2: Use Soap Solution
- Step 3: Use The Dishwasher
- Step 4: Wipe It Off With A Damp Cotton Cloth
- Step 5: Use Table Salt And Vinegar Solution For Copper Mats
- Step 6: Baking Soda For Silicon Mats
- Step 7: Dry Off The Grill Mats Properly
- Maintenance For Clean Grill Mats
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Clean Grill Mats
There is a compulsion that after the joy of eating you have to spend hours cleaning. Cleaning becomes more complicated when it is grill mats in which food sticks easily. The grill mats get dirty with food spills or burnt meat that sticks in the mat.
DIY Solution to Clean Grill Mats
Are you a massive supporter of grill mats as it makes cooking fun and easy? Then, make your cleaning easier with dishwashing liquid, they are also effective in cleaning sandstone walls.
Mix a little dishwashing gel with water in the sponge or brush and scrape off the dirt and oil. Next, rub vigorously over the grill mat and clean off the sticky food out of it.
Use warm water; warm water softens the stains and makes the stain easier to clean.
Baking soda and water DIY solution is the magic solution that helps in cleaning and sanitizing your grill mats.
Boil a pot filled with water for 2 minutes on the stove and then drop the grill mat into the pot. Pour baking soda into about ½ cup in the water and boil it for 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat, and you will see a stain-free grill mat. Scrub the grill mat with cloth and make your grill clean like new.
Table salt is a DIY cleaning agent which is effective and easy to use. It not only adds flavor but also cleans off the mess in the kitchen, it’s pretty effective for cleaning nut milk bags as well.
Once you are done grilling when the mat is still hot, sprinkle a handful of salt on the mat.
Then, scrub off the burnt part with the brush. They will come off with ease immediately, and you are ready for the next grill.
Another DIY solution that you must have at home to clean kitchen essentials is the vinegar solution. Mix vinegar with warm water and spray it on the grill mats and leave it for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, scrub off the mat vigorously, and all the stains come off easily; the grill will no longer be dirty.
These DIY solutions are easy to make, and the results are promising. These hacks and tricks do not take much time and effort, and the stains come out perfectly. They are also pretty effective in cleaning a variety of materials such as hand saw blades and grill mats.
- Comb brush
- Lukewarm water
- Soft cloth
- Paper towels
Step 1: Brush Off The Residue
- After you cooked a lavish dinner, turn off the heat and brush off the residue from the mats.
- Collect the residue in one place with the help of a spatula and then brush it away with a brush. Remember to use gloves as the hot mat can burn the fingers.
- Once you scrape away the residue, the grease remains in the grill mats.
- Clean up the grease after every grill with a damp cloth. Once the water dries off, you are good to go for the next grill.
Brushing helps in thoroughly cleaning the mats, flip it other side and repeat the procedure to clean off any dust residue.
Step 2: Use Soap Solution
- Take a pot of warm water and pour dishwashing soap into it.
- Soak the grill mat for an hour in the solution to remove sticky stains.
- After an hour, use the soft cloth to scrub the residue. You can also use your regular scrubber, although grill mats are delicate and prone to scratch and damage.
- Scrubbing with a soft cloth will remove grease and stain from the mat.
Scrubbing off the sticky residue helps in cleaning the mats thoroughly. In addition, applying this procedure will remove grease build-up. This soap solution mixture works great for cleaning pizza ovens as well.
Step 3: Use The Dishwasher
Grill mats have PTEE coating, which is like any other non-stick cookware. You can wash it off in the dishwasher.
- After soaking it for an hour in soap solution and scrubbing it with a soft cloth, you can put it in the dishwasher.
- Place the grill mat at the top rack of the washer.
- Run hot water and rinse off the soap solution to clean residue and grease.
- It will clean away sticky and stubborn residue.
Lukewarm water softens the stains, and the residue comes off with ease.
Step 4: Wipe It Off With A Damp Cotton Cloth
- Once you take out the grill mats from the dishwasher, keep a damp cotton cloth handy.
- Wiping it off with a damp cloth will ensure that the grill mat does not have any residue from soap.
If you regularly wash it in the dishwasher, you reduce the risk of damage to the grill mats.
Step 5: Use Table Salt And Vinegar Solution For Copper Mats
A vinegar solution can make the tarnished copper grill mats make it shine like new.
- Mix 1 cup of white vinegar with one tablespoon of table salt.
- Use a soft cloth to rinse off the grease.
- Immerse the tarnished copper grill mat in three cups of water and pour the vinegar salt mixture.
- Bring it to boil and boil until the tarnish comes off from the grill mat.
This is not advisable to PTEE coating grill mats. Use it only if the copper grill mat is tarnished.
Step 6: Baking Soda For Silicon Mats
As mentioned above in the article, baking soda is an effective and quick solution to clean grill mats.
- Take some handful of baking soda and sprinkle it on the mat.
- Keep it for 20 minutes and after that wash with warm water.
Silicon mats are widely used as barbeque grill mats. If you have a silicone mat, then use this quick solution for removing sticky stains.
Step 7: Dry Off The Grill Mats Properly
Dry off the moisture from the grill mat before use. If you have paper towels or kitchen cloths, then wipe off the extra water.
- If you do not have anything like that, then hang it with clips in the hanger to dry it off properly.
- You can keep it under a fan to dry it effectively.
It is advisable to dry off the mat effectively before the subsequent use. Never use a wet grill mat, as it can be risky.
Maintenance For Clean Grill Mats
Cleaning grill mats may sound tedious and time-consuming but, it will prevent scratches and layers of grease.
After every grill, there is a residue of grease and meat chunks. Wipe the residue and grease with paper towels or a damp cloth. Cleaning off the residue after every barbeque cooking will ensure that the surface doesn’t become sticky.
The grill mats have PTFE coating; using metal cooking utensils will break the integrity of the mats. Instead of metal grilling tongs and spatula, you can use:
- Silicone Pinners
- Plastic Spatula.
Keep the grill mats rolled in the box to prevent scratching. Here is a video guide on how to maintain grill mats.
- Marinate the meat with vinegar, lemon, or soy sauce to make it easier to clean the stains on the grill mat.
- Keep grill cleaner damp cloths or paper towels nearby so you can clean up the mat after every grill.
- Thoroughly clean the grill mat along with the barbeque grille once a year for long-lasting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are The Grill Mats Safe To Use?
Yes, it is safe to use grill mats. Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTEE) is the material used in the coating of grill mats, which the FDA has approved. It is safe and healthy to use at a temperature below 500 degrees. Barbeque mats are safer than barbeque grills as they don’t fire up flame during a barbeque.
How Should I Store Grill Mats?
Store it flat and put it in the box to optimize its useful life. The PTEE coating is prone to scratches which can damage the mat. Likewise, storing it in the open can harm the PTEE coating. You can roll it up, but the grill mats retain a curl on the surface of the grill mats. Moreover, do not fold it and store it, as the crease can damage the mat.
How Often Should I Clean Grill Mats?
Clean the grill mats after every use. Once the meat and vegetables are grilled, you can wash them off with warm water and soap. Do not use abrasive products or harsh scrubbers as they can damage the integrity of the coating. Instead, use a soft cloth to rinse off the grease.
An outdoor party with a barbeque dinner surely lifts the mood. Therefore, it is essential to keep the grill mats clean and scratch-free. It may be unknown to you how to clean grill mats. However, as we have thoroughly explained in the article how to clean, you can see how simple it is.
With proper care, the grill mats last long, and they will always spice up your simple barbeque dinner. Here is an article by cleaning masters to guide you on how to maintain and clean grill mats.