As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
We want to remind you that prolonged usage of unhygienic ear plugs can lead to various ear problems. Thus it is essential to be familiar with how to clean silicone earplugs, especially if you are a swimmer and use the silicone earplugs daily.
- How to Clean Silicone Ear Plugs?
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Clean Silicone Ear Plugs?
To make sure your silicone earplugs get completely cleaned, you have to make sure that you are cleaning your ears as well. The earwax from your ears can end up making the earplugs dirty again. Be very particular when cleaning comes into the picture; it is necessary for your health in the long term.
Before moving on to the cleaning process, let us get the ingredients required to keep the cleaning process seamless and easy.
Here is the list of materials required for cleaning your silicone earplugs:
- Damp cloth
- Ear wax softener
- Syringe without needle
- Small bowl
- Spray bottle
- Soft-bristled brush
- Warm water
- Soft towel
- Bleach (Optional)
- Rubber gloves
The items mentioned above are easily available in the household. Thus you might have gotten a hint that it is not much of a challenging task.
First, however, make sure you handle the silicone earplugs with care and do not damage them.
How to Avoid Getting Extremely Dirty Ear Plugs
It is difficult to work with a filthy silicone plug. So make a routine to keep your earplugs in good condition.
Here are a few tips to keep your earbuds clean:
- If not in use, store it in the case.
- Avoid touching the tips of your earplugs.
- Wash your hands before using earplugs.
- Sanitize the earplug before storing it.
Remember, never share your silicone earplugs with anyone else.
It may appear simple, but following these guidelines will make the cleaning process more comfortable for you.
Furthermore, these tips will help your earplugs last longer.
Step 1: Cleaning Your Silicone Ear Plugs
If you are a swimmer, earplugs are a part of your daily routine. Thus it is your responsibility to keep them in the best shape if you want your ears to be healthy.
Here are the steps that you will need to follow for cleaning your silicone earplugs.
- Take a bowl and add some water to it. Now add a few drops of mild liquid soap and mix it well to create a cleaning solution.
- Now take an old toothbrush and dip it into the solution and start scrubbing the earplugs.
- Take a dry and soft towel and clean your earplugs dry.
- Now take an empty spray bottle and add some alcohol to it.
- Give your earplugs a spray of alcohol to disinfect them from any bacterial growth.
- Once the earplugs are sprayed, leave them on the towel to air dry.
See, this is a short process of cleaning the earplugs if they are stain-free; if your silicone earplugs have certain discoloration, you will need to follow the next step.
Here is the link to a study indicating the disinfecting properties of alcohol. They work pretty great for disinfecting items like card sleeves, printer drums, silicone pipes, and Juul pods as well.
Step 2: Treating the Discoloration on the Ear Plugs
If your silicone earplugs are slightly old, you might notice some discoloration that looks quite gross.
It does not mean the earplugs are dirty, but the quality of the silicone becomes quite questionable, and you will not feel confident wearing them.
Here are the steps you need to follow for treating the discoloration on the earplugs.
- Take an empty spray bottle and fill it with some diluted bleach.
- Now spray the bleach solution on the discolored area and let the spray sit on the earplugs for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Now wear your rubber gloves to avoid any reaction on your hands, and take a soft bristle brush to scrub the plugs.
- Scrub the earplugs in a circular motion and clean them with cold water.
- Now take a soft towel and wipe the silicone earplugs completely dry.
When it comes to treating colored parts on any item, bleach is one of the best ingredients to use.
They are also effective on faux wood blinds, dried oyster she, and bamboo blinds. Here is a link to a video guide for cleaning silicone earplugs.
Step 3: Cleaning Your Ears Before Reusing the Silicone Ear Plugs
This step must not be overlooked. Make sure your ears are completely clean and that all wax has been removed.
If you skip this, there will be no use in cleaning your silicone earplugs in the first place.
Here are the steps that you will need to follow for cleaning your ears before reusing the silicone earplugs:
- Use a soft, damp cloth or a microfiber cloth rather than a cotton earbud, which is not strongly advised.
- Use an earwax solution with a dropper, which can be found in pharmacies.
- Fill a syringe with either saline solution or water and squirt it into your ear to remove the wax.
- Drain the remaining amount of liquid from your ears and pat your ears dry.
Follow these steps on a regular basis to keep your ears clean. It is also beneficial to your hearing.
In addition, this routine will help you keep your silicone earplugs in the best shape possible.
Why Is Checking the Due Date of Your Silicone Ear Plugs Important?
Silicone earplugs are among the most environmentally friendly earplugs on the market right now, but they do have an expiry date that must be followed.
Here are the reasons why it is critical to check the expiration date of your silicone earplugs:
- Once the due date has passed, the quality of the silicone starts deteriorating, and that is not healthy for the ears of the user.
- In addition, bacterial growth will start to happen on the silicone earplugs, thus making them highly unfit for future use.
Once the due date has passed, the silicone earplugs are supposed to be disposed of in the trash. They can be worn for a maximum of four weeks, depending upon what brand you are using.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Times Can We Use a Single Pair of Silicone Ear Plugs?
You can reuse your silicone earplugs until they become dirty, which is a maximum of five times. Also, keep an eye on the expiration date of your silicone earplugs, as they must be discarded because they can no longer be used. Finally, don’t touch your earplugs because this encourages bacterial growth on the silicone earplugs.
Is It Possible to Sleep While Wearing Silicone Ear Buds?
Yes, you can sleep while wearing your silicone earbuds, as they are designed to be worn while sleeping or swimming. However, sleeping with an earplug inside your ear may be uncomfortable, especially if you sleep on your side. If you are increasing your use of earplugs, make sure you follow a hygienic routine to keep them in good condition.
Is It Possible to Clean Silicone Putty Ear Plugs?
No, do not clean the silicone putty earplugs at all costs, as they are disposable and made of a silicone putty and soy wax mixture. It is simpler with foam earplugs, which you can simply dip into a bowl of water and scrub a little.
Never forget the hygiene of your ear is equally important as the hygiene of your earplugs. Thus, it is essential to maintain a fixed routine and clean the buds after every 4-to 5 uses.
The process mentioned above will take hardly a few minutes of your life, but it will prolong the life of your silicone earbuds and ensure a good hearing tendency as you get older.